Previously: The Dark Reflection Ritual.
The Hooded Man Ritual appeared on the NoSleep subreddit in November of 2014. According to its submitter, nickybutler123, it has surfaced on other sites in the past; I’ve been unable to locate these other sites, however, so it’s possible that this claim is meant to deepen a newer story’s sense of history. It’s worth noting, though, that a Japanese game that purports to send you to another world via a black telephone bears a few things in common with the Hooded Man. I’m not sure whether the Hooded Man is actually derived from this older ritual, but it wouldn’t surprise me if it were.
On that note, certain similarities strike me between the worlds traveled to by the Hooded Man’s taxi cab and the one(s) that can be reached via the Elevator to Another World ritual. Again, I’m not sure whether they’re the same ones, though, so do with that what you will.
[Like what you read? Check out Dangerous Games To Play In The Dark, available from Chronicle Books now!]
This ritual should NOT be attempted in a state of agitation, nervousness, or fear.
As always, play at your own risk.
- One principal.
- Two black cords or ropes measuring half a meter in length each.
- A telephone. If you have access to an old-fashioned rotary phone, it is suggested you use it, as it will provide the greatest effect. A modern touch-tone phone will also work, although it is recommended that it be of a corded variety. Cordless or cellular phones may present some difficulties and are not recommended.
- Matches or a lighter.
- A watch.
- Prior to beginning, perform a cleansing ritual in the location in which you plan to perform the Hooded Man Ritual. Burning a sage smudge stick and spreading salt or ash before the front door are recommended; for more detailed instructions, see here.
- Shut all the doors, close all the windows, and draw all the curtains.
- Turn off the lights, as well as all electronic devices. Set the two black cords, as well as the matches or lighter, near the phone.
- Empty your pockets of any power or protection items, but keep the watch on your person.
Calling the Cab:
- Begin at night.
- Sit down before the telephone and count to the number 13. Then, leaving the phone on the hook, dial the following number: 20496888.
- Tie one black cord securely to the telephone’s handset. Lift the handset by holding the cord only; then dial the following number: 25515823.
- Count to 13 and set the handset down, but do not hang it back on the cradle. Speak the following words into the receiver: “Hello? I need a cab.”
- Untie the first black cord from the handset and replace it with the second one, making sure to secure it tightly. Burn the first cord immediately if possible; if it is not possible to do it immediately, burn it as soon as you have completed the ritual.
- Open the curtains and look out. If you have completed steps one through five correctly, you will see a black taxi cab parked outside. Exit the building, locking the door behind you, and climb into the cab’s empty back seat.
- Lock the cab door and go to sleep.
During the Ride:
- When you awaken, use your watch to check the time.
- If your watch reads anytime other than 3:30am: Exit the cab and reenter your home within two minutes. Proceed to “The Ending – Step 1.”
- If your watch reads 3:30am: Go back to sleep.
- When you awaken for the second time, you will find the cab to be driving on a highway with a man wearing a hood at the wheel. Do NOT do any of the following:
- Attempt to get out of the cab while it is moving.
- Speak to any other passengers the cab may pick up.
- When you are ready to end your ride, lean close to the hooded man’s ear and say the following words, slowly and deliberately: “I have reached my destination.” You will fall asleep one last time; when you awaken, you will have returned to your starting location.
- Once you have returned to your starting location, seat yourself before the telephone once more and dial the following number: 200082.
- Use the black cord to lift the handset, set it down, and recite the following words into the receiver: “Thank you for the ride.”
- Untie the black cord from the handset. Burn it; then bury the ashes of both it and the first cord in the ground. Scatter salt over the top of the burial site.
- Perform a cleansing ritual.
Sage, salt, or other items of protection may be used during the cleansing rituals performed before and after the Hooded Man Ritual itself; however, these items should NOT be carried with you while you are performing the Hooded Man Ritual.
Should you feel threatened, followed, stalked, or otherwise unsafe at any point during the ritual, do NOT proceed. If you have not yet gotten in the back of the cab, do not enter it; if you have, perform step five of “During the Ride.”
Panicking, attempting to exit the moving vehicle, or speaking to other passengers may result in dire or fatal consequences. Do NOT, under ANY circumstances, perform those actions.
Concerning the Length of the Cab Ride:
You may allow the cab ride to continue on as long as you desire; however, it should be noted that the longer the ride, the more difficult it is to emerge from the landscapes through which the cab passes. Should you wish to return to the same world you left, it is recommended that you do not allow the cab ride to go on for undue amounts of time.
It is unknown what happens when the cab stops. If you are feeling adventurous, you may attempt to find out…
…But don’t count on being able to return home again once you get there.