Previously: Blind Man’s Bluff.
Note: Please don’t copy/paste or republish the text of this post on other websites without permission.
Originally uploaded to the Creepypasta Wikia in 2012 by user VelvetxNightmare, the ritual game called That Cold, Creepy Feeling — sometimes translated into other languages as simply “The Cold Ritual” — is definitely of the made-up variety of ritual game, rather than the folkloric or historical type. It is, however, quite effective as a story, and easily performed at home, should you want to give it a try. The prize for success is the ability to see the future, although you should be aware that there’s a cost for success, too.
Interestingly, there are some similarities between this ritual and the ritual used to summon La Cegua — namely, the use of three pieces of cloth. The difference, of course — besides the colors of the fabric — is that in the La Cegua summoning ritual, the pieces of cloth are pulled away at the end to reveal items that might be of use to you. In the Cold Ritual, meanwhile, the pieces of fabric should never, ever be moved from their final position. It’s a curious kind of reversal, I think; it speaks to the kind of balance required in these kinds of games.
[Like what you read? Check out Dangerous Games To Play In The Dark, available now!]
One thing that I think the original source for the ritual is lacking is adequate safeguarding with regards to the drawing and mirror. You are, after all, using the drawing and the mirror to open a sort of window to somewhere else — so should something go… wrong, or even you should simply experience something while performing the ritual that isn’t quite right, it would be useful to have some sort of procedure in place to mitigate the damage. I’ve attempted to fill in the gaps here, hopefully in such a way that makes the ritual a bit more complete.
As for what one might do with the ability to see the future? That depends on whether you believe the future is fixed or not. If you believe it’s mutable, then you might use your knowledge to change it. If you believe it’s fixed, however, all you can do is prepare yourself for it — no more, no less.
As always, play at your own risk.
- One principal.
- One hand mirror.
- A sheet of paper.
- A pencil.
- One piece of white satin fabric.
- One piece of red satin fabric.
- One piece of black satin fabric.
- Your own bedroom.
- Somewhere safe to sleep other than your bedroom.
- Begin at any time.
- Gather your supplies and bring them to your bedroom. Close the door behind you.
- If your bedroom has windows, draw the curtains or otherwise block the windows.
- Sit on the edge of your bed. Keep your supplies close at hand.
- Hold the mirror up to your face and observe your reflection.
- Meet your own eyes in the mirror. Do not waver in your gaze.
- Speak aloud the words, “Give me this gift in exchange for my sacrifice.”
- Place the mirror beside you on the bed and lay the sheet of paper on top of it.
- Close your eyes and imagine another eye — just one eye, wide open and staring. What does it look like? Is it clear? Bloodshot? Dry, or damp? Fringed with heavy lashes, or nearly bare? Imagine every detail — except to whom the eye might belong. The Eye is all that matters — nothing else.
- Once you have a clear image of the Eye in your mind, open your own eyes. Take up the pencil and draw the Eye on the sheet of paper, without lifting up the paper from the mirror.
- When you have finished your drawing, speak aloud the words, “The Wide Eye sees all.”
- Lift the piece of paper from the mirror.
- If the mirror is unchanged: The ritual has failed; do not proceed. Open both the curtains and the door and leave the room, taking the drawing with you. Destroy the drawing as soon as possible, ideally by burning it to ashes. You may try again another time.
- If the Eye you drew is etched on the mirror’s surface: The ritual has succeeded; you may proceed. Lift the mirror up to your face.
- NOTE: If the Eye on the surface of the mirror is NOT the one you imagined and drew, DO NOT PROCEED. Leave the room and destroy both the drawing and the mirror immediately. Dispose of the remains of each item as far away from your home as possible. It is not recommended that you try this ritual again.
- Close your eyes again visualize the Eye.
- In your mind’s eye, watch the Eye. In the physical world, keep your own eyes closed.
- Watch the Eye blink once. Should you feel a shiver run down your spine, remain calm. Do not open your eyes.
- Watch it blink twice. Should you hear a soft whisper in your ear, remain calm. Do not open your eyes.
- Watch it blink thrice. Should you feel a sudden drop in temperature, remain calm. Do not open your eyes.
- Keep your eyes closed.
- Speak aloud, again, the words, “Give me this gift in exchange for my sacrifice.”
- Open your eyes.
- Look into the mirror.
- If you see only yourself: The ritual has failed; do not proceed. Open the curtains and the door and leave the room. Destroy the drawing and the mirror as soon as possible and remove the remains from your home. You may try again another time.
- If you see a pale-faced girl: The ritual has succeeded; you may proceed — but do not meet her gaze for more than 20 seconds.
- NOTE: If the face in the mirror is NOT that of the pale-faced girl, DO NOT PROCEED. Leave the room and destroy both the drawing and the mirror immediately. Dispose of the remains of each item as far away from your home as possible. Do not try this ritual again.
- Lay the mirror down on the bed and spread the piece of black satin fabric over it. Speak aloud the words, “Your gift.”
- Spread the piece of red satin fabric over the piece of black fabric. Speak aloud the words, “My sacrifice.”
- Spread the piece of white satin fabric over the piece of red fabric. Speak aloud the words, “It is done.” Should you hear a soft whisper in your left ear, remain calm — even if the whisper persists for an extended period of time.
- Leave the mirror on the bed, covered with the three pieces of fabric, open the door, and exit the room. Close the door behind you.
- Find somewhere to spend the night. Do not sleep in your bedroom. Leave the door closed and the room untouched until the sun has risen the next morning.
- Once the sun has risen, you may open the door and return to your bedroom. Move the mirror with the layers of fabric and place it somewhere safe — somewhere it will never be disturbed. Do NOT allow the fabric to fall off or uncover the mirror.
- Henceforth, you will hold the uncanny ability to see the future
- But there is a price, as well. The soft whisper that may have sounded in your left ear as you completed the ritual? It will continue, unabated, for your remaining days.
- And you will know exactly how many days do remain for you — for the whisper will say only one thing, over and over and over again.
- It will repeat to you the date of your death.
- Your knowledge of the future is not complete without knowledge of your own demise, after all.
You may begin playing at any time of day or not; however, for best results, it is recommended that you begin precisely at midnight.
The three pieces of fabric should be identical in size; additionally, they should all be large enough to cover the mirror’s surface completely.
This ritual must be performed in your own bedroom — the place you live, sleep, and call your own. Do not use any other space for the ritual. Do not use anyone else’s bedroom for the ritual. You may use a bedroom shared by yourself and one or more other people; however, it is recommended that you request permission to proceed from your roommate(s) before performing the ritual. If your roommate(s) are not on board with it, do not proceed.
You need not empty the room of other people before performing the ritual, although you may see better results if you do. Should you perform the ritual with other people present, and it becomes necessary to leave the room, all people inside the room — both principals and bystanders — must vacate the space.
After completing Step 13 of The Mirror, do NOT spend the night in your own bedroom. Arrange for somewhere else to go. Sleep, if you can.
Concerning The Mirror:
After completing the ritual, do NOT allow the mirror to be uncovered, damaged, or broken.
Keep it safe, and keep it intact.
You don’t want to know what might happen to you, should it become damaged.
Or what might happen to the future.
That Cold, Creepy Feeling: FAQ.
Please don’t reproduce the text of this post anywhere else without permission. Linking to it or sharing the URL only is fine (and encouraged!), as is writing your own unique version of the game with sources cited and linked to, but copying/pasting, republishing, screenshotting, or otherwise reproducing the text of this piece in its entirety or near-entirety on other websites without permission isn’t.
Follow The Ghost In My Machine on Twitter @GhostMachine13 and on Facebook @TheGhostInMyMachine. And don’t forget to check out Dangerous Games To Play In The Dark, available now from Chronicle Books!
[Photo via darksouls1/Pixabay]